Thursday, August 18, 2011

Birthdays

I celebrated a birthday yesterday. Mine. It wasn't a milestone in the sense of turning sweet sixteen, or reaching adulthood by turning 18, or hitting age 21 and I could buy my own vino, or even celebrating 40 - a midlife mark. What made it so much better than any of the others I can recall, I was able to help my mother bring my 85 year old daddy home from the hospital! After having two major surgeries in less than a month, I'm so thankful he made it through okay and came back home to us.

When we all sat down at the table for our evening meal, including my husband, a birthday card had been placed next to my plate. It was a wonderful card my parents gave me that read...

How to make a beautiful life

Reflections for a daughter on her birthday

Love yourself.
Make peace with who you are
and where you are
at this moment in time.

Listen to your heart.
If you cant hear what its saying
in this noisy world,
Make time for yourself.
Enjoy your own company.
Let your mind wander among the stars.
Try.
Take chances.
Make mistakes.
Life can be messy and confusing at times,
But its also full of surprises.
The next rock in your path might be a stepping-stone.
Be happy,
When you dont have what you want,
Want what you have.
Make do.
Thats a well-kept secret of contentment.

There arent any shortcuts to tomorrow.
You have to make your own way.
To know where youre going
Is only a part of it.
You need to know where youve been, too.
And if you ever get lost, dont worry.
The people who love you will find you.
Count on it.

Life isnt days and years.
Its what you do with time
And with all the goodness and grace
Thats inside you.
Make a beautiful life
The kind of life you deserve.

Author Unknown


I especially love the line:
"The next rock in your path might be a stepping-stone."

The prayer/thought/belief that keeps going through my mind: I know God will not give me more than I can handle.

I share this card with you to inspire and encourage your daily walk, to "make a beautiful life... the kind of life you deserve."

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful message in your card...I hope you don't mind me asking where they purchased this card with such an incredible message...I need to go there the next time I go to purchase a card. Thanks for sharing the beautiful message and I hope your dad is continuing on his road to recovery..Your parents are blessed to have such a daughter that is always there for them and vice versa...Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Diane! Mother bought the card several months ago. I asked if she remembered where, but I'm afraid she doesn't recall.

    Daddy is doing much better with each day!

    I'm the one who is indeed blessed!

    Lanetta

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews