Sunday, January 13, 2013

On my own


When asked to be a speaker before plus or minus 200 women, and a handful of men, I know it’s an honor. I know this. It’s still frightening as all get out! When asked to give a book review on my own book, Where Forever Begins, A Simple Love Story, how or where do I begin?

I’m not a public speaker. In fact, the last time I did something before a much smaller group, I had a panic attack during the presentation! Or, maybe it was a gigantic hot flash? Rather doubt that excuse. No, I realized later I forgot to breathe! Seriously folks!

Last week, I asked my niece for help. Dr. Leslie gives presentations around the world – literally – and I couldn’t think of a better person to ask. My thoughts were all over the place, I needed help getting organized. I needed any tips she could offer me. A specific one she gave: don’t forget to breathe!

I’m practicing.

She also recommended I simply tell my story… not necessarily the story found within the pages of the book, but how/why I even started page one.

All those wonderful, sometimes eerie, memories are starting to come back.

This week I’ve done a little googling. Yes. Googling. I know MSWord it isn’t a word, but it should be. I basically wanted to know what’s included in a “book review” in order to give the organizers what they asked for, first and foremost.

(I cannot recommend this site enough. I’ve used it over and over again for many years. It’s an amazing resource for any writing. Period.)

A book review gives readers

1.   a sneak peek at what a book is like,
2.     whether or not the reviewer enjoyed it,
3.     and details on purchasing the book.

Well, number 2 is quite obvious. Why else would I have spent four years writing it?

Number 3 is easy.

It’s the number 1 – how much do I share?

The way to good writing is keeping the reader wanting to turn the page, not put the book down at all …. Forget sleeping, eating…

Because the review is on my own book, I need to give just enough sneak peek to peak folk's interest to buy the book, to turn those pages! That’s the fine line I’m walking….

Everything happens for a reason, in its own time.

This time last year or the year before, or before it, had I received this invitation, I would not have accepted. This invitation is timely and fits within my Twenty13 goals to get out from behind my sewing machines & laptop, and become more involved in the community and meet challenges!

Yes! I can do this!

I'm practicing!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews