Sunday, September 21, 2014

Stars and more Stars

I love creating patchwork star blocks, especially on Quilts of Valor! It’s not the only block design I do, but when I create stars, I like to do the easiest method possible! Why not?

Indeed!

For example, why not use the techniques learned last week when making Half Square Triangles (HST) rather than cutting out boo-coos of triangles? Why take the chance to stretch the fabric’s bias out of shape?

Keeping in mind the HST techniques, I found this infographic from Quilt Books and Beyond showing 7 easy star quilt blocks: 
I'm hoping when you click on it, the picture will become readable!
If not, save it, then open in something like PhotoShop! 

Look at this lovely:

It's the “Four-Patch” Star block pattern McCall’s Quilting shared! They say it’s “Intermediate” level, but I say it’s easy peasy when following the PICTURED step-by-step tutorial!!! Although it looks like it, there are No HST involved! It’s simply an angle piecing on the ends. They have a free .pdf download, but note the correction. I’ve inserted their corrected directions here:

Cutting Instructions
Cream Fabric ... Color #1
... 1A - Cut 4 rectangles 2 1/2" x 4 1/2""                
... 1B - Cut 12 squares 2 1/2"

Green ... Color #2
... 2B - Cut 4 squares 2 1/2"

Purple ... Color #3
... 3A - Cut 4 rectangles 2 1/2" x 4 1/2"

Purple Print .... Color #4
... 4C - Cut 4 rectangles 2 1/2" x 6 1/2"

Assembly Instructions
{Brackets indicate where I added something to clarify}
I added the Bold to bring attention!

Step 1. On wrong side of {cream} square, draw diagonal line. Sew directly on top of marked line; cut away excess fabric. Press towards triangle (Diagram I). Note the direction of the drawn line for the short half trapezoid (4 1/2" rectangle used) as compared to the long half trapezoid (6 1/2" rectangle used). Make 4 of each.


Diagram I

Step 2. Sew together pieces as shown in Diagram II to make quadrant. Make 4.


Diagram II

Step 3. Sew 2 rows of 2 quadrants each, rotating as shown (Assembly Diagram). Stitch rows together to make Four-Patch Block.


Assembly Diagram

 This is a Must Do for me! Will you create this lovely finished 12” x 12” block?

Oh, my! This is the easiest, my most favorite star block! I’ve done this one many times already… no points to match! No HST!!! Notice it’s a 9-Patch! She calls it the July Star… : 


Note the squares touching the center square! That’s where the magic happens!
  
I didn’t get a good close-up picture of the stars, but this is the star design I used on the Last Man Standing QOV!



Try it! I think you’ll like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews