Sunday, January 6, 2019

Library Book - A Review


The Backyard Homestead, Book of Building Projects, by Spike Carlsen, Storey Publishing

Chapter 1 - “Tools, Materials, and Skills”

The author gives a brief synopsis on the different tools and their uses, safety measure reminders, and lots and lots of “Take Note” which was the same thing as “tips”... great advice!

I especially appreciated the information provided in the “Lifting and Moving Heavy Stuff” section - great tips and reminders!

Chapter 2 - “For the Garden”

Several projects are detailed that are informative, however not something I’m interested in doing in the garden. I did pay attention to the “Drip Irrigation Basics” project because it’s the type of watering system I plan on using. Since I’ve never used drip irrigation before, I found the information helpful. Oh, and he even explains how to take care of the system before winter sets in with below freezing temps!

I like his ideas for “Simple Hose Guides.” I hate dragging around hoses... that’s going to change! I have ideas!

OH, and his “Garden Marker/Stepping-Stone” method is cute (and doable)! I love placing surprises in the garden. When folks say “concrete” - what do they really really mean? He specifically states “remixed MORTAR” (emphasis mine). Now I know for sure!

Maybe I’ll make his “Sitting and Kneeling Garden Stool” - he gives pretty detailed directions and measurements.

The “Five Simple Plant Supports” are great to refer back to when the time comes. I love his Veggie Cages - because the will store easily during the off season! If I can find all the pieces and parts out of PVC (not the copper as he has shown) I’ll make the “Copper Trellis” as it is also yard art!

If your interested in catching/storing/utilizing precious rain water, “The Rain Barrel Basics” project is worth the read through! He gives details!

If you’re looking for a cute cute “Potting Bench” he has one! I mentioned this because - if - I can ever have one out in the garden, I want it! Especially if there is water access... it would be lovely to wash off veggies collect from the garden and have that water go back to the garden!

Someday Bud & I both would like a greenhouse. For him, it’s to grow our own avocado trees! For me, it would be for so much more! This author provides a “Hoop Greenhouse” project, complete with material list, and detail building plan (with drawings!) that looks easy enough if we both do it together! We’ll see.

Chapter 3 “Harvesting and Food Preparation”

Most of the totes and carryalls are made from wood. Just looking at the projects, they look heavy before any harvesting of produce is added! I’m not interested.

Chapter 4 “Storage and Workspaces”

I LOVE his “Mini Tool Shed”!!! I can modify it to go up against the our insisting Garden House for easy access for gardening tools! It would be very handy to the garden, but not inside the garden!

What a clever idea... an “Emergency Cart” to have handy near the garden. I’ll come up with something to “hide” it in the garden... maybe near the potting bench. It would be nice to have a few medical supplies near rather than having to dash back to the house.

Chapter 5 “Animal Shelters and Feeders”

Chicken nesting boxes - done. Rabbit hutch, not interested at this time (never say never)! Bat house - already have one, we just don’t have it out (yet) because I haven’t figured out how to get it 12' to 20' (recommended) height off the ground! Pig pen, nope. Moveable chicken coop/run, in the works - much less elaborate than his project.

He does write about Outdoor Outlets, Switches, and Lights... maybe someday. For now, I’m more interested in developing a solar system.

No beekeeping for us.

Chapter 6 “For the House and Yard”

One of the projects caught my eye... the “Lawn Bag Stand” mainly because I thought, I can make it as tall as I want and it will be perfect to hold the bag perfectly at the edge of the chicken coop’s door! I’ve told myself several times while scrapping out the poop, “I need something different because this just isn’t working!!!” I just haven’t thought of this, but now it was like a “duh” moment!

“The Punch Tin Jelly Cabinet” looks so cute, but I just don’t have the room for it!

Because I already wanted to create some personalize planters, the “Concrete Planter” project has a lot useful tips.

Well, bummer. I just finished the book and, unless I totally missed it, there wasn’t a picnic table! Who would have thought! That was one of the main reasons I checked it out!

But, did get a lot of other good information!

Turning this book back into the library...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews