Thursday, January 17, 2019

Library Book - A Review

The Artful Garden, Creative Inspiration for Landscape Design, by James van Sweden and Tom Christopher, 2011, Random House, New York.

https://www.amazon.com/Artful-Garden-Creative-Inspiration-Landscape/dp/1400063892/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=the+artful+garden&qid=1547743480&sr=8-1

“All gardening is landscape painting.” - Alexander Pope
Until this book, I never thought how planning the garden design could (should) be linked to -
artists of all mediums,
the choreography of music and dance,
a weaver of texture, and
even a mystery writer and the structure of the novel itself.
The author “artfully” explains this in an amazing way that only after I read the book and let it absorbed a bit, did I truly understand his message.

Simply because of the living nature of a garden, he shares a great point to remember in its planning:
A garden is constructed in four dimensions.
As well as length, width, and height, there is also time.
I HIGHLY recommend this book for a totally different perspective and approach to designing a garden! In fact, I’ve ordered it as a keeper - a fabulous reference book. And, it is something I want to study deeper, even after the West Yard Project is fully underway.

P.S. I just saw his statement on Amazon that is worth sharing here and sums it up very nicely:
“I want to put the mystery back into the heart of garden design, where it needs to be. It’s what lures you in through the gate, keeps you moving through the landscape, and fills you with excitement along the way. The sense of mystery is what turns a mere display of plants, paths, and ornaments into an adventure.”                          
—James van Sweden









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews