Friday, January 4, 2019

Maintenance

All the while designing and planning the garden, I need a focus list (I love to-do lists!) of the maintenance projects I desperately need to do this spring:

1) Add metal roofing to chicken run’s roof. The fabric covering on it now is ripping apart - due to the winds we have - and it’s not water proof! Over the last 24 hours we’ve received two inches of blessed rain. The run is a muddy sloppy mess! The girls don’t seem to mind, but I do when I go inside and muck around with them!

2) Build the chicken chunnel to get the girls out and about to do lots of the garden work for me!










There are so many “styles” of chunnels/tunnels. I sort of have one designed in my head to fit our needs but this is a good overall go-by!
 
http://www.askaprepper.com/diy-chicken-tunnel-step-step-guide/
Plus, I’ve found a lot of ideas on youtube!

3) Oh, and FINISH painting the chicken coop! I ran out of time last year. Must get it done! Oh, and add the plastic “Easter” eggs to the coop’s ceiling! We haven’t yet had an issue, but the roofing screws came through to the inside and I don’t want the girls to get hurt if they got that close to the ceiling! I thought this would be a cute way to cover up the pointy ends of the screws!

4) Aerate around our live oak trees. The ground is so hard, compact. It truly hurts my soul every time I walk by them. I feel like I’m choking, as if the trees are choking and screaming at me. Nothing grows underneath, not even weeds. It’s just barren ground with a single beautiful tree growing up from it. I plan on taking one tree at a time and plant something around at its drip line (will not get close to the tree itself), then sow shade loving grass seed between the trunk and the new plants. I found the perfect tool for this job and it arrives Monday! It’s call the Yard Butler Lawn Coring Aerator Manual Grass Dethatching Turf Plug Core Aeration Tool!!!

I’m sure I will be adding much more to this Maintenance to-do list, but this is a good start! It helps me stay focused and I know how I need to “budget” my time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews