Sunday, March 31, 2019

Healthy Living

It is the last day of March. A library e-book is due back tomorrow. But I’m not FINISHED! I cannot check it back in until I write this partial review! There is so much information to absorb.

It took over two and a half months with it on hold before I could get it checked out to me. Life (i.e. sleep) got in the way to read it diligently! But, I decided a couple of days ago, it’s a keeper so it’s on its way to me via Amazon!

I’ve read more books this year already than the last 5 years combined! And, I’m not stopping! I’m loving the library e-books and my Kindle! This latest book is by Martha Stewart, Living the Good Long Life. I highly recommend this book, especially for those of us beyond 60 years young!





I’ve always admired Martha Stewart. She gives credit where credit is due. She alone did not write and compile information for this book. The acknowledgment section clearly details all the people involved making it happen. I appreciate the list of Resources that are general then chapter specific. Of course, the Notes for each citation within the chapters are as they should be and is, in itself, a great resource for further reference. Speaking of further reference, she/they also provide a list of Suggested Reading that I will have at my fingertips once the actual book arrives.


The mantra throughout the book!
The book is divided into two parts:

Part I   Healthy Living Today
    Healthy Eating
    Healthy Fitness
    Healthy Brain
    Healthy Outlook
    Healthy Living Every Day
    Healthy Looks
    Healthy Home

Part II  Healthy Living into Tomorrow
    Healthy Living into the Future
    Healthy Caring

Honestly, I rarely try Martha’s recipes. Out of her 77 (counting this one) books she’s written, between Momma & I, we have at least 30. Most of the recipes call for ingredients that either I’ve never heard of, cannot find locally, or are impracticable for this household - meaning Bud would not want to try! So I sort of skipped over the recipes. The information elsewhere was spot on!

HOWEVER, her fitness chapter gave me much inspiration! I know I need to as she suggests:

STAY active every day
INCREASE your endurance
MAINTAIN your flexibility
BUILD your balance
FOCUS on core strength
STRENGTHEN for stability
The balance and flexibility and strength... why am I wasting time listing the things I need to master... I need to work on them all!!

Oh, and the Healthy Brain chapter! I’m already practicing the tips she offers. For example, before if we needed more than two items from the grocery store I would have to make a written list. Nope. Not anymore. This is a prime example of “memory boosters” rather than giving in and writing it down I am now doing the “Rehearse and Resize” technique. But, oh so many other tips and techniques are listed for brain health.

Goodness. I could go on and on. I’m thrilled I made the decision to order this book. It will come in handy as a daily guide/reminder for healthy living thereby living the good long life!

P.S. I went on Amazon to get the link to share and read a great review of this book... the reviewer said it much better than I did - "Unlike any other book Martha Stewart has written"!

Let me know what you think of this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews