Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Comfort Zone


Sewing is my comfort zone. I love to sew. I love making quilts. I’m ready, however, to venture beyond the comfort zone!



It’s really a growing desire to explore different types of things to create, using different mediums. It’s exciting just thinking about it!

This is in addition to the monthly veteran’s quilt I promised myself I will create. I’m not forgetting my promise!

It is also a want to learn how to do more things well by utilizing the “stuff” I already have on hand. Over the years I’ve gone through phases, putting aside started projects and moving on, but never tossing it out.

I recently began (finally) the hand embroidery project, a pattern series bought about 15 years ago at the International Quilt Show in Houston. I came across it when organizing for the move into my dedicated sewing room! Because we plan the adventure of keeping chickens this spring, it’s perfect timing to get it done!  


Since it’s taken me about a week to accomplish “January” I’ll probably not pursue hand embroidery further once the next 11 pieces are completed! At least, not anytime soon! I remembered quickly how finger/thumb numbing holding the needle very long at a time can be! Changing it up, doing other things does help to get it done. But it’s not that pleasurable.

While currently having access to unlimited bandwidth, I have explored various creative sites on Youtube. I watched a few on knitting, and tried my hand ~ AGAIN ~ but got too frustrated ~ AGAIN!

I still can’t see the difference between a knit row and the purl row. As long as I don’t put it down, I can keep on switching back and forth – knit a row, purl a row. But once I stop at the end of a row, then pick it back up later – forget it! Something is just not clicking. At least, I have a small imperfect coaster now!

Oh, and while at Walmart last week, I bought myself a 10” weaving loom! Similar to this one I just found on Amazon.

NOTE: The included booklet is printed for a young person with good eyesight. I’ve tried several strengths of reading glass to no avail so I turned back to Youtube for help… success!

I quickly discovered I love to weave! I can hardly wait to do some fancy things with various types of yarn (even spinning my own roving!) and scraps of fabric I have in my stash! From the weaving projects I want to make Prayer Flags to catch the Whispers in the Wind.

Then I remembered “macramé”!

I briefly thought about teaching myself macramé during the rage in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s, but it never really caught my interest.

I’m so thankful for today’s Youtube! Macramé banners will make perfect Prayer Flag projects to add an assortment of beads and items along the ropes and knots. A great purpose for that stash of mine!

In the wee early hours this morning, I stumbled across Shayda Campbell’s Youtube channel. A Canadian living in Iceland teaching us all who want to learn hand lettering, how to illustrate, paint with watercolors and pens, and draw, and so much else! I love her clean, crisp inspirational blog as well!

I’m excited!!!!

Will you be trying something new?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews