Saturday, May 9, 2020

Attitude Adjustment

Somewhat fretting over some mistakes I made in a crochet shawlette I created for Momma’s Mother’s Day gift, a friend asked me...

Have you ever heard of the Native American custom of purposely making a mistake in a blanket or other article, so as to not anger the gods with a "perfect" human-made thing?

This intrigued me to look it up and I discovered it is a common Navajo tradition. Their “imperfections” are purposeful because only God is perfect. Of course!

Rather than always seeking perfection, other cultures also have the same attitude. I like this.

One of the first major projects I ever worked on was a poncho for my sister’s Christmas gift. I think I might have been 14 or 15 at the time. I don’t really remember. It doesn’t matter. My aunt came in from Arkansas for a visit and I excitedly shared the half-finished project. Actually, I think I was almost through with it at the time. Well, she found a mistake way back near the beginning and began ripping it all out!!! I stood there absolutely stunned as she told me, “If you can’t do something right, don’t do it at all.”

Her voice continually plays in my head, until this morning.

From now on, as I’ve always done, I will do the best I can.
                   
Maybe someday I will make the “purposeful” mistakes rather than the oops! But until then, I won’t be so hard on myself that it’s not “right” - not “perfect.”

Thank you, Gail!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews