Last week, my sister asked if I could create an 18 inch doll cheerleader uniform to match her niece’s uniform – with a due date of October 26th (her birthday!). Without hesitation, I answered, “Yes!” However, I had to ask for a couple of things. Because of matching school colors, I wanted the fabric provided. I also needed several pictures showing different views of the little girl’s uniform for a “go-by”.
Over the weekend, while in
Dallas doing an arts/craft show, I received
the “washed and dried” fabric (THANK YOU!). Then, over the course of the next
few days and requests for specific views needed, I received enough pictures via
email to get a good idea of what needed to go where. And, the challenge began!
|Light source is not good... coming from computer's monitor!|
|Needed to see side seam - light source coming from behind camera - MUCH better view!|
In case you didn’t know, an 18 inch doll’s body, and where it bends and where it doesn’t, is a bit different than a real person’s body. Therefore, rather than a pull over, the top had to have an opening along the back. No problem. Done.
NOTE: Sewists know stretchy fabric (which this was a lightweight knit rather than quilt type cotton), stretches out of whack VERY easily! One must take extra care when dealing with knits!
|Waiting to hem shorts whenever skirt is done!|
The original uniform had webbed trim zig-zagged together to make the “stripe” – which is much too wide for an 18” doll. Therefore, I had to create the stripe using the knit fabric. That was fun!
After spending hours trying to work it out proportionally, I realized the original skirt’s stripe detail was too big for the doll’s skirt (even though the stripe was much smaller on the doll uniform). There was simply not enough skirt fabric, or “time” for it to come around and make the V. The doll’s skirt stripe is now simply around the hemline.
While meeting this challenge, trying to get it perfect, Mother kept reminding me when she made my oldest niece’s uniform to “match” my High School drill team’s uniform. Two year old Leasa was our mascot my senior year. It didn’t “match” exactly, but it coordinated nicely.
The letter “H” – oh so tiny! I tried different ways to get it cut out from the fabric provided, but it kept tearing apart due to the thinness along the sides. My sister sent me a commercial letter H but it was too big! I finally decided to simply cut it out of one-side sticky thin foam! Seems to work okay… will be a gently hand wash item!
Sending out in the mail on Monday and it should arrive in time for her birthday on the 26th! Love it when a plan comes together!
P.S. This was a fun challenge!
P.S.S. I absolutely LOVE the back drop Mother created for me and my doll pictures!!!