Saturday, March 23, 2013

Before it's too late


I’ve been pondering a couple of days now whether to write this post. While looking down my wall on Facebook this morning, I saw this picture. I’m taking it as a big YES. Hopefully, you’ll understand what I mean in a little bit.

During my last visit to Dallas, Momma, Bud, and I went to the cemetery and pleasantly discovered they had placed Daddy’s marker at his grave. The next day, she and I went out and bought the silk spring flowers, then placed them in his permanent vase. Needless to say, when we left the cemetery, we both were upset, missing him terribly. Understandable. It’s not even been two months.

On the way home, Momma cried her words, “I just wish I could call him, to hear his voice one more time.”

A couple of days later, my oldest niece called and spoke with Granny, then to me. In our conversation, Leasa asked me if we had any recording of Papo talking, something, anything to hear his voice one more time. We don’t.

Then on the Bones episode we watched last night, Booth videoed a “living” message to his daughter. Priceless.

Several years ago, for Christmas, I gave Momma & Daddy each a recorder. I asked, for my Christmas gift for the following year, to have a recording from them of different thoughts, favorite past times as a child, any experience they’d like to share. Sort of like the book “To Our Children's Children: Preserving Family Histories for Generations to Come" by Bob Greene – but have it recorded rather than in written format.


I never received the gift.

I encourage each one of you who have children/grandchildren, record your voice. It will be a priceless gift. Do it before it’s too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews