Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Sudoku Mini Quilt Wall Hanging

Somewhere, several months ago, I ran across a Sudoku quilt someone had created putting several puzzles together to make a full size quilt. I thought I had pinned it, but can’t find it now! Suffice it to say, it was lovely and inspired me to create a simple wall hanging based on the Sudoku pattern.


What is Sudoku?
Wikipedia describes it as a “logic-based, combinational number-placement puzzle. The objective is to fill a 9x9 gird with digits so that each column, each row, and each of the nine 3x3 sub-grids that compose the grid (also called “boxes”, “blocks”, “regions”, or “sub-squares”) contains all of the digits from 1 to 9.”

When creating this simple Sudoku Mini Quilt Wall Hanging, I encountered a few challenges: 
  • Selecting nine coordinating colors for the actual puzzle! Fortunately, I had my mother with me, an artist with a keen sense of color! The “tenth” color – I used a dark brown print - for the dark bold line separating the “sub-squares”.
  • I purchased 1/4 yard each. I decided to use one of the colors as the backing, so that color I purchased a full yard. (I’m thinking with this size wall hanging, fat quarters would have worked just as well – but don’t forget about the binding, too!)
  • Finding small prints to show up within the finished 1.5” square (the size I wanted)
  • Keeping the “number” color separate/identified

I began by drawing out the puzzle on a piece of paper, then color coding the squares to represent numbers 1 – 9.


Using “snack” size baggies, I marked a number on each baggie, to keep the individual nine cut squares – per color - separate. Then I began cutting out my squares!


What size individual squares do you want finished?
Whatever that is, add a half inch (for your quarter inch seam allowance!)

Following the diagram closely, I positioned each “sub-square” together,


then stitched the pieces together.


The three rows then went to the ironing board.


On each sub-square, I pressed the center row toward the center square. The two outside rows, press away from the center square.



Two sub-squares received the strip of dark brown, the “bold” line, on the bottom.
I learned quickly to immediately sew the strip on the appropriate line.

Always, always, always, as you go, check the placement before sewing the sub-squares together… I had to rip out twice when I placed a row up-side-down, which invalidated the puzzle!


Press Press Press (DO NOT IRON) - What's the difference? Read about it here!  
Clip away all dangling threads

Once the “top” is stitched together, and the puzzle complete/accurate, sandwich the batting between the top (right side up) and backing (facing down). 


I started out machine quilting (3.5 stitch length) simply around the sub-square. It didn’t quilt it enough for me, so I continued with a “stitch in the ditch” technique within each nine square.


I never can remember how to miter corners when binding. I now have saved the .pdf document HeatherBailey so generously provided showing/explaining the amazing directions!


Then I went in search how to prepare the quilt for hanging and found this delightful tutorial at PatchworkPottery. I did make my corners larger (7”) than what she suggested.




Ta-Da!


Happy Creating!


2 comments:

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews