Sunday, July 16, 2017

Beyond Excited



I’m so excited! I’ve never been a “Classroom Mom” before!

Although I know better to be the Mom because life will get in the way and I don’t want to disappoint, but I can ~ and did ~ volunteer to be the “assistant” mom!

This is the second year the “Room Parent Program” has been done for grades K – 5th at the Marty Indian School in South Dakota. Because it is long distance, actual hugs can’t be given. According to Google Maps from my ranch to there is about 970 miles – one way! Rather it is a snail mail experience, sending goodies and handmade items all wrapped in loving prayers and hugs.

The Facebook group Sew for Kids Volunteers led me to this opportunity of a lifetime. I am humbled to now be the Assistant Classroom Mom for the Second Grade!

Never having a second grader and not knowing what kids are like at that age (and what that “age” might be as it’s been a long time since my nieces were in 2nd grade!) I put this news out on my Facebook wall, asking for clues! I received some great input! Thanks to all!

My sister reminded me, everything I create can have an educational foundation… like words embroidered on items to reinforce what they are learning…

But what will they be learning in 2nd grade?

I took my laptop into town and downloaded the Content Standards for South Dakota (like the Texas TEKS). Something within their list caught my eye ~ the Oceti Sakowin Essential Understandings and Standards.

What a wealth of information! I will re-read several times, to learn more truths about our Native Americans.

I came back home and ordered two books listed within the resources (oh, I wish I could buy them all….)

The Lakota Way: Stories & Lessons for Living by Joseph Marshall III

The Great Race of the Birds and Animals by Paul Goble

From what I’ve read so far, I truly believe everyone, every child in the U.S.A., should read Mr. Marshall’s book, The Lakota Way: Stories & Lessons for Living.

It’s beyond Powerful.

2 comments:

  1. Sister, You are amazing. So proud of you for this undertaking. As Leasa and Leslie also said...Mother will make everything a learning experience if possible...you bet. We all keep on learning, in doing so you will also keep offering learning opportunities to those youngsters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your continued support and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews