Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Typical Summer Day at the Ranch

Ah! First day of summer! Summer’s officially here! However, with the 100+ temperatures and lack of substantial rain, it feels like it’s been here for several weeks already! I love the true four seasons we have in the Texas Hill Country. I wouldn’t have it any other way!

I start my day by drinking a glass of tap water. Wetting the gills with plain well water is something I consciously make myself do throughout the day. I’ve seen what dehydration can/will do to the body! Then I always step outside with my first cup of coffee in hand and look up into the awesome early morning sky. Whether it’s filled with stars, or covered with promising clouds, I thank God for the new day and all the possibilities before me.

In the wee hours of the morning ~ my quiet time ~ is when I’m online. It’s then I’m searching for the ten new things I want to learn everyday. It’s this learning of new things, networking, catching up with family & friends, marketing Lanetta’s Creations and spreading the word about National Doll Day, recommending others, begin writing an article (it takes me off/on all day!), and reading the news that fills my usual early morning routine.

When temps are so high, I get my exercise in early. Usually about 6:15 you’ll find me heading out to do at least one mile of fast-paced walking. I change up the route as not to get bored! Sometimes it’s simply walking from cattle guard to cattle guard on the county road that cuts through our place. Other times, walking out across the pastures provide a different type of workout (it also keeps the mind sharp so not to step on a rattlesnake)!

Because Bud’s walking with me, I don’t listen to books on tape (but have them ready whenever he’s doing something else). Instead, we talk when breath allows ;) – today’s high humidity made it tough, though. We also see how close we can get to the white-tail deer before they scurry off into the cedars.
(A pic I took several years ago!)

Usually the jackrabbits simply freeze, trying to blend with the terrain. They quickly give up as we pass, disappearing into the brush. Cottontails are rare these days. They often run off at our first mutual sighting and it will span several days before seeing another one. It’s entertaining watching the critters.

(Both rabbit pictures I found via Google Images)
After breakfast, if I don’t have anything ready to start sewing on, and before we close up the house and turn on the a/c, I utilize the kitchen’s island to cut out several items. I did this the other day – all doll clothes! All are a version of red-white-blue.

I’m excited with the projects! The outfits will have at least two or three coordinating pieces, some more. A couple of dresses will have aprons to go over them. I’ve created two handbags for the girls. A couple of outfits are pants with blouses and maybe an apron, I don’t remember! Hair accessories will complete the look.

Rather than working through each outfit until complete, I started with everything that needed dark blue thread in the sewing machine and serger. Next was red. Today I hope to find a light shade of royal blue in my thread stash for some pants & T-shirt. I’ll have to use white thread on the serger, but that’s okay. My girls won’t mind. Then I’ll begin using white thread, which is the most!

After lunch and dinner, we usually watch a movie or a few primetime shows we’ve previously recorded. I work throughout the day to gather handwork projects especially for this period. Sewing on buttons, snaps, making yo-yo’s, preparing my “Doll Store” (more details later!), etc., are things I do while watching the tube. I can’t just sit and watch…

Oh, yeah, most days I take a nap – summer or not! Since I usually wake about 4:00, an hour nap restores my mind and body and gives me the energy to go another round! It’s not until 10:00 p.m. before the ole head hits the pillow again. In time to watch TMZ!!! I love ending the day with a bit of laughter before I close my eyes and give my Lord thanks for another day!

This is my typical summer day at the ranch. What's your usual routine?

(NOTE: There is a reason housework is not mentioned! It's not "typical" here!)



2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry blogger is having difficulties posting comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post has been a very thought provoking one for me...what is my typical day like...other than trying to get into the pool each day...I don't know, so thanks. I will begin to see if I have a "typical day" and what it looks like. Once I know, I will share.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews