I’m not re-inventing the wheel, simply sharing how I make a pillowcase. An abundance of tutorials already span across the Internet, I’m just adding my two cents. As I made a couple yesterday (one for a girl, the other for a boy), I took pictures here and there to help with the instructions that we used during this past summer’s Sewing Camp 101.
So Sew Etc
Sewing Camp 101
June 18, 2012 – June 22, 2012
Roll Up Method
For a standard size:
7/8 yard large section (cut 27” x width of fabric)
1/3 yard wide band/border (cut 9” x width of fabric)
1/4 yard accent (optional) (cut 4” x width of fabric)
(for a larger pillow, measure the length of the actual pillow and add 2” to the measurement – the band & accent will remain the same)
How to create the pillowcase:
- Fold band (wrong sides together) in half (long way) and press (Make sure both edges are placed evenly together)
- Fold accent strips (wrong sides together) in half (long way) and press (Make sure both edges placed are evenly together)
- Keep accent folded, pin to right side of large section across top. (Make sure all edges are placed evenly together) (Is the brown strip on the boy's pillowcase as I used lace on the girl's)
- Move step #3 out of the way for a minute. Unfold band and place single thickness with right side up on top of table surface. Place step #3 on top of accent/large section (it doesn’t matter which is “up” wrong or right side). Work from left to right (make sure left side edges are all together) and remove the original pins one by one and re-pin everything together. (Make sure all edges are placed evenly together)
(Don't worry right now about how the pieces line up on the right end:)
|Fold/roll large section up and up and up, then pull the free side of band up and over the roll.|
Be careful not to catch the "large" piece in pinning or sewing!
- Now you’ll have the right sides together of the band, with everything else rolled up inside! Starting at the left side, pin through all thicknesses. (Make sure all edges are placed evenly together)
- Sew across using a 1/4” seam allowance (back-tack at start only). Remember: pull out pins before sewing over them!
- Press seam to meld stitches.
- This is the fun part! Pull out the fabric from inside the “tube”!
|Fold bottom up to the top edge and trim off, making all layers even|
- If you want to sew decorative stitches across the band, now is the time! It's much easier now when flat, before you go on to step #10. I realized this in the nick of time!
- With wrong sides together, match up the band, accent edge, and pin along the side and bottom. (Make sure all edges are placed evenly together)
- Starting at top of band, sew 1/4” seam allowance, stitch down side, pivot, sew across bottom. Remember: pull out pins before sewing over them!
- Carefully trim corner.
- Press seam to meld stitches
- Turn outside in and now right sides are together. Press out the folds made from stitching. Pin occasionally the same places as before, and stitch but now use a 1/2” seam allowance down side and across bottom. DO NOT TRIM THE CORNERS!!!
- Press seam to meld stitches.
- Turn right side out, use knitting needle to gently push out corners. You now have a lovely totally finished pillowcase (without any raw edges showing inside)!
I based these instructions on this video: