Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sewing Groups

Are you part of a sewing support group? With access to the Internet, it doesn’t have to be a physical group, where you travel somewhere and gather with like-minded folks in person. In this day and time, virtual groups are but finger tips away! I’ve found some on Facebook, groups.yahoo.com, and I’m sure others are out there.

A while back, I created an open group on Facebook. The Sewists Group “about” states:


This is a support group of like-minded folks to talk about the love (and sometimes the frustration!) of sewing, receive help on any issues/problems related to sewing, and share ideas/links!


In September, I don’t know how I found them, but I stumbled across the Facebook group, Sew Modern Dallas Chicks! They meet at various places around Dallas (like a Hobby Lobby) as well as have online challenges! I didn’t get a chance to attend a gathering while in Dallas, but I do intend on participating in their October online challenge!

Their “about” states:
This Dallas-based sewing group is for beginners through advanced sewists. Do you want to learn or love to sew, quilt, embroider or any other artsy sewing? We sew just about anything from clothing and fashion accessories to home decor! We meet at a few stores around the Dallas area (primarily the North Dallas area) to learn the basics to advanced techniques. We also have open sewing known as ‘Saturday Sewing Socials’. We occasionally attend area sewing events.

If you’re on Facebook, how do you find sewing groups?

Search “Sewing”
Refine the search by clicking “Groups”


Scroll down the list! To see more, click the down arrow (bottom center of the list) to load more!

Don’t fret if it says “Closed Group” – click “Join” if the description suits your fancy! As soon as you click join, it changes to “Request sent” and most likely, after the group’s administrator sees your request, you’ll be approved! The group name will show up on your “home” Facebook page.

Once you’re in a group, if you don’t think it’s worthwhile, simply click “Leave group” and it’s done!



For me, groups on Facebook are much easier to find and become part of the discussion than Yahoo.

Do you have an online group? Are you part of a group that you would like to recommend? I love learning from others and see what others are doing!

P.S. Since I posted this article, I found & joined two more groups on Facebook!

  1. Sewing Tote Bags and Purses
  2. Sew Many Sewing Friends


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews