Monday, September 7, 2015

Creating an Action Quilt – Part 1

Let me begin with a caveat –

The Action Quilts (aka Fidget Quilts) I create are not for commercial facilities such as Nursing Homes or Adult Day Care Centers serving those with Alzheimer’s Disease or dementia. My focus is for those living in a home environment with a 24/7 caregiver.

Why are they my focus?

1) After reading posts from the closed Facebook group Memory People, I’ve learned how much help the caregivers need in helping their Loved Ones keep once busy hands occupied, and mind stimulated.

2) Some of the materials I usually like to incorporate (clear vinyl, for example) may not withstand the commercial laundry process. They will, however, go through a normal home washing (on delicate cycle in cold water) and drying (on low temperature). When I’m finished with one, they each are washed and dried, and come out perfectly!

When creating an Action Quilt (aka Fidget Quilt) there are a couple of things I keep in mind…

Safety of our Loved Ones
Easy to use “doo-dads”

One of the first pictures I saw when doing an internet search for “fidget quilts” – was where someone put a large safety pin on one of the squares. I immediately wondered, What Could Go Wrong There? Goodness gracious folks. What were you thinking? Keep Loved Ones SAFE!

Have you noticed the difference between metal zippers and the polyester ones? The pulls are much bigger on the metal ones which will make them EASY to use! Whenever I do use a polyester one, I do something, add something, to the pull. I’m sure arthritic hands/fingers will appreciate the “bigness” created!

Oh, and I want to explain once again why I am calling these little quilts ~ Action ~ rather than fidget. To me, “fidget” sounds negative.

As a little girl, I would get in trouble if I did any “fidgeting” rather than sitting still while in church. I do use “(aka Fidget Quilt)” a lot, only so others used to the name will know what I’m talking about. And, for search engines to catch! Nancy, of Sewing with Nancy, uses “Activity” – I’m guessing she may think fidget has a negative connotation as well!

Maybe, someday, eventually, Action Quilt will be the norm!


Now that that’s all said, gather some fabric together and tomorrow we’ll begin creating an Action Quilt together!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews