Saturday, December 22, 2018

When to Plant What

I remember hearing/reading how folks will look through gardening magazines and seed/plant catalogs in the winter. It’s the time to make garden plans. Well, winter officially started yesterday! It’s time to get busy planning and designing our upcoming garden. This year I’m getting organized and will actually mark my day planner when to plant what!

I’ve always been late to the party. That’s the way I have always rolled.

This coming year will be different!

This year ~ 2019 ~ will mark the first opportunity since we have owned “The Sprott Country Gardens” that I will not be leaving for long periods of time! Nope! (Not unless I'm dead!)

We are here.
Momma is nearby.

It’s a go!

Rather than going through magazines and catalogs, I did an internet search: “When to Plant Herbs and Vegetables” and found a lot of information!

I like the Better Homes & Garden (BH&G) resource, their planting schedule for a variety of veggies!

Soon I will pop in our County Extension office and pick up some literature more specific to this area. An interesting tidbit I just read on their site (emphasis mine):
Lampasas County lies in the Texas Hill Country at the geographical center of Texas.
Anyhoo...

I LOVE To-Do LISTS!!! And BH&G site already prepared “Zones 7-8 Garden Calendar and Monthly Garden Tips” for me!!! Yes!

But, something else I need when planning and designing the garden is what to plant with what...
Companion Planting Chart for Vegetables is listed nicely on the BH&G site as well!

Of course, the Almanac is a great go-to and it even gave me the”30% probability of frost free after April 1" information needed! I do plan to also plant by the moon dates. I wish these charts had a print icon. Oh. Well.

Oh. My. Lots of studying to do over the next few weeks!

I have started pulling out the dormant grass and weeds from the Keyhole Garden. I mowed it all and gave to the chickens! They loved it! (oh, I need to put 2nd coat of paint on the Chicken Coop as well)

My dream is for our entire west yard to be void of grass and full of vegetables, herbs, edible flowers, fruit trees, and yard art (food for the soul).

Winter is here.

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to hearing more about "The Sprott Country Gardens" in coming months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While surfing QOV images I happened across your Star Burst...and was intrigued by your writing about how it was made!!! This led me to peeking into 2018 items...and I thank you for doing all the research for me as I learn what I can do in northern Alabama v.s. 6 decades of upstate New York living!!! It blew my 65 year old mind that one plants pansies in the Fall! Wow!!! I have much to learn!!! So nice to meet you!!! (I put in my website but my quilting friend is still building it...Someday it will grow up into a full fledged website!!! LOL )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to meet you, Anita!
      Welcome to the south! It's a different world than upstate NY!

      I'm thrilled your learning as well... we need to continue to learn each and every day!

      Let me know your website link when it's ready!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews