Saturday, October 17, 2015

Turning Scraps into Fabric

Last week I stumbled upon a great article, Use Every Wee Bit and decided to try it! Well, my first attempt worked out sorta okay, but I had issues since I don't have an extension table next to my sewing machine! Threads kept falling off before I could stitch around the perimeter!

It's not too bad...


While sorting my stash of fabrics, looking for colors to match here and there, I came across itty bitty scraps left over from a doll quilt I made a couple of years ago.

I couldn't trash them, but I sure wasn't going to use the tiny squares and strips! So.... I thought about adapting Judith's instructions to make it a little easier for me! There's just so many ways I can hold my mouth to keep things all in line!

Just in case I missed a spot, rather than using muslin, I used a scrap of leftover backing from a quilt.

I gathered some pinks...


And, some blues...


I used (OUTSIDE) a bit of basting spray to the right side of the fabric, then placed the fabric on a piece of cardboard, gluey side up!


WORKING QUICKLY - before the basting spray drys, I placed the fabric pieces here and there...


Totally covered ~ just about ...

Cover with water soluble stabilizer...


Carefully take the "sandwich" over to the machine with stabilizer on top. Stitch around the edges, then stitch and stitch, and stitch more! I used dark thread on the bobbin so you could see it better...


Take to the sink and rinse and rinse and rinse out the stabilizer! 


I think it turned out rather nicely! Now I have 2 pieces of newly created made fabric to use with the main focus piece in the next Action Quilt!



BTW: Once the stabilizer is washed off & you think you need to add more stitching, no problem! Put on another piece of the stabilizer and go for it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews