Friday, January 25, 2019

A Living Process

I’ve wanted a Labyrinth for years, and happened to walk my first one ever this past Tuesday morning while Bud was undergoing Carotid Endartarectomy. Located on the grounds of Seton Williamson, Roundrock, Texas, I’m thankful the hospital provides such a lovely place that brought me a bit of peace and settled my soul while waiting.

I’m taking a break from reading about planning and designing a garden. Rather, I’m doing research on creating a Labyrinth. I would like to include one in the West Yard Project. My sister recently suggested planting various herbs and plants to make the design, incorporate the “garden” within the Labyrinth - two for one!

When I saw this one, I thought, YES! This is what Sister was talking about!!

http://www.anetnovakdesign.com/beforeafter.html


With the experience fresh on my mind, I know I cannot have one as big as Seton’s, big enough for an individual using a wheelchair. I just don’t have the space within the yard. I can (and will), however, make the paths wide enough for a walker!

I’m wondering, does the Labyrinth have to be symmetrical? I’ve found on Pinterest hundreds of examples and 99.9% are a circle symmetrical. But does it have to be that way? As long as the path takes one to the center circle then back out again the same way, would it work?

From what I’ve read, the attributes of a Labyrinth are:
   to have a one path in and the same path out,
   a center circle,
   and at least one switch back.

Done.

I am going to make it work...

After setting the center circle with concrete curved blocks, I used extension cords and a bit of rope to “map” out the path. I have plenty of irises to transplant what will edge most of the path, at least on one side. The rest of the “blank” spaces will be filled with herbs and perennials. As I  plant the irises, I will measure the path’s width along the way. I have a bit of wiggle room.










It’s a work in progress... it will be a living, growing, entity for my spiritual path.






2 comments:

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews