Thursday, January 3, 2019

First thing First!

In my previous post I failed to mention a MAJOR aspect of planning the garden, a question for which I must find the answer!

How do I keep the blasted white-tail deer
and jackrabbits out of the garden?

It’s heartbreaking to spend money on plants, then put in the time/effort (both precious the older I get) of planting and watering, and saying the blessing prayer over the new plants only to discover the
very.
next.
morning.
they’ve been TOTALLY eaten!

I know, God does answer prayers! It must have been the deer’s prayers He answered, not mine!

Anyway, between Youtube, blogs, and websites, I am searching for different methods and techniques to use this year. I will be applying several layers of deterrents.

I’ve also found several lists of plants - since I’m basically open to anything - that the deer don’t particular like (unless they are very hungry) and will leave alone. Those plants will be my parameter. I’m thinking, if they don’t immediately smell something “good” maybe they will simply move along!

I know they don’t mess with many of the herbs, so I don’t have to fret over the upcoming spiral garden. And, they haven’t ever messed with the numerous iris beds I already have growing.

I know transplanting irises should be done in the spring after blooming season, but I’ve been told by an awarding winning grower/expert - anytime - “You can’t hurt an iris” !!! So, I plan on moving (thinning out they so desperately need) and also using them as a parameter around the new plants.

Maybe hang the Irish Spring Soap again? It does seem like it worked on the jackrabbits - not as much poop evidence.

I so want apple trees this year....

Maybe raise the yard’s fence by attaching staves to the posts already set in the ground, then stretch a couple more strands of barb wire? I read deer can jump 6' so I need the fence to be at least 7'.

Maybe the egg recipe? I certainly have eggs!

I can’t use the water spray thingy, or anything electric. I must keep Anna - our 10 year old (TODAY!) Dobie - in mind so nothing hurts her (or us) during the midnight or wee early morning yard checks! Not to mention the 20+ cats... it’s their job to keep snakes away!

What do you do to keep the deer and jackrabbits from eating your garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews