Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Chair Bound

A few days ago, when writing about the book, Comfort Quilts from the Heart by Jake Finch, I mentioned I’d never made a wheelchair quilt with a footwarmer (she also calls them “Foot Pocket” – I like that!).

Anyway ~ I have now!

Remember the article, My Own Flare? Seldom do I follow pattern directions. Well, this is certainly a prime example!

Honestly, I didn’t follow the “pattern” because I was in a rush to get it made. I wanted to take it to Dallas to show my mother. Plus, I wanted to get out her wheelchair from storage, and have her model it for me! It was the plan to take pictures to share with you! It worked!

This is also a good example how you can make things your own as well!

I took the basic overall measurement (for an adult) that Mrs. Finch decided upon – 36” x 60” – and went from there.

Had I had some nice scenery fabric in my stash like she shows ~ and had had the time ~ I would have followed along and learned her paper-pieced flying geese technique. The how-to for the checkerboard and rail fence rows seem pretty straight forward. Again, I was in a rush and simply used straight “blocks” rather than piecing anything.

NOTE: Not all rows need to be the same height (notice hers are not the same height). The rows just need to total 54.5” when put together – before adding the 3.25” border. If you want to add a different size border, which I highly recommend on this quilt that you do have a border, you’ll have to do a little math.

Bottom line ~ any “block” design you want to do per row ~ go for it!

But, if you want to make one like I did, this is how!

Cut for main body of quilt:

9 - coordinating pieces of fabric – 6.5” x WOF (Width of Fabric)

Cut for border:
ONLY PRE-Cut these measurements if YOU take ¼” seam allowance throughout!!!
Otherwise WAIT and measure your quilt in the center* - both ways!!!

2 (top/bottom) – 3.25” x 30.5”
2 (sides) – 3.25” x 60.5”

Cut for binding:

While cutting out the fabric for the quilt top & border, I went ahead and cut 2.5” x WOF strips for the binding. This is how I figured out how much I would need:





total inches
inches per yard
yards needed

Based on the MS Excel figures, I cut the WOF 5 times (since it’s 44-45” wide I would have plenty). To prepare the binding, check out this article McCall’s Quilting shared!

Sewing it together:

I arranged the pieces together like I wanted on my ironing board, right next to my machine.

I picked up the first two & stitched ~ right sides together ~ the entire WOF.

I stitched (right sides together) the next “set” of two and continued this process without stopping/cutting threads until I had all the sets stitched. It was then I snipped them apart.

I pressed the stitches to “meld” the threads together, then began cutting each “set” to the proper length.
  1. First, I made certain one end extended a tad beyond the cutting mat.

  1. Then I cut at the 30.5” line

  1. I flipped the “set” around, lining up the left nicely cut end with the far left line on the mat and cut the opposite end to length – taking care of that end’s selvages.

NOTE: This is the ONLY time I use my cutting mat for measurement purposes! I also jotted down how long to measure on a scrap piece of paper to keep right next to the fabric so I wouldn’t have a senior moment and cut the wrong length!

Continue until all "sets" are cut to length!

Save the long cut off end sets!!!

I placed the 30.5” long “sets” back on the ironing board in their original order. At this time, I pinned all the sets together, adding the top and bottom border to stitch as a “row” as well.

Once I stitched together all the rows, I pressed the seams to “meld” the stitches, then pressed all the seams up (or down) whichever you prefer! I would not press the seams “open” as the “togetherness” gives more strength to the seams.

At this time, I pinned the side borders to the quilt, being careful not to pull the stitches out at the end of the rows. The side borders fit perfectly! I stitched them down, then pressed to meld the stitches. I then pressed the seam toward the border to reduce bulk!

I got the binding ready!

The top was ready to quilt! I loaded it in my longarm, and got it done very quickly doing a large loopy design all over.

NOTE: The pattern called for flannel backing. I do not prefer flannel backing for adult quilts… it’s too hot in the Texas Hill Country for 75% of the year! I simply used regular 100% quilt quality cotton for the backing. The batting used was Hobbs Heirloom Premium = 80% cotton, 20% polyester.

Tomorrow I’ll share how I did the foot warmer – aka Foot Pocket – and finished the wheelchair quilt! 


  1. Love this! Thanks for sharing Lanetta!

    1. You are very welcome, SueEllen!
      I hope it helps in your mission.


Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews