Sunday, January 13, 2019

Library Book - A Review

Oh My Goodness

Handmade for the Garden: 75 Ingenious Ways to Enhance Your Outdoor Space with DIY Tools, Pots, Supports, Embellishments, and More, by Susan Guagliumi, published in 2014 by Stewart, Tabori & Chang.
The day I checked out 12 ebooks from the library, this book wasn’t immediately available so I placed it on hold. It was only a few days later I received notification it was loaned out to me! Honestly, at first glance I thought it was going to be all about “Yard Art” - I love creating yard art - but it’s so much more!

It is a fun informative book with nice photos and illustrations! I’m a visual learner, making this aspect a great feature. She shares what has worked for her, and what didn’t (and the why),  when it comes to making functional garden tools, supplies, and treatments for and in the garden.

I never thought about making my own seed tape!
I never thought about creating a “mini” hothouse!
I never thought about simply anchoring milk jugs when using them as a cloches!
I never thought about how easy a Hoop House could be to make!
I never thought about making a dibble!

And all the above (and more) is in just the first chapter!

She’s just started!

Although potted (container) plants take more watering, I loved the fabric pot concept, and the wall pockets, and will have to make some! I’m thrilled I saved all the burlap...

Seriously, who would have thought about making a plant container/pot out of a soaker hose? BRILLIANT!

Right now, I will just make a note her Chapter 3 is about Mosaics. Although beautiful, I just don’t have the time this year. This book will be my go-to if/when time permits.

Now, Chapter 4 is on Cement & Hypertufa! I’d never heard of hypertufa until this book... gardening has a whole other language I’m slowly learning! I’ve never bought any pots other than terra cotta. I know, I’ve lived a sheltered life. No, not really, just never have gotten this “deep” into gardening before!

I’m excited about working with cement and creating it and hypertufa projects! She even recommends doing a web search for “... ideas, recipes, and inspiration.” But then her explanation how to cast leaves is perfect for the upcoming Fairie Garden, not to mention her Fairy house itself!!!

So, mental note to self... this is the go-to chapter for tips, supplies, techniques!

I know with our high winds I’m going to need various supports in the garden. I like the natural look and Chapter 5, Standing Tall, has clever ways/materials for single supports, tripods, and tuteurs.

I’m excited about the same type of suggestions and instructions she gives in Chapter 6, Rustic Trellises, Fences, Arbors & Box Supports. We may not have white cedar or willow she talks about, but our neighbor has a lot of the invasive bamboo I’m certain he’ll be happy to part with!

Off-Season, Chapter 7's Project & Planning is a good reminder to keep good records of what went where.

I’m most grateful Momma kept a journal of sorts about her rose garden! The actual plant markers were lost on some, but I remembered seeing the garden diagram in one of her favorite garden book. When I went to dig up her roses in Dallas when we sold the house, to bring them here, to The Sprott Country Gardens, I was forever grateful to find that special book! I was able to identify which ones were which!  

I need to do the same.

She talks about time-saving tools. I’m already looking around (here and off property) of what I can repurpose to use in the garden. I am training my eye to see things outside the box.

Oh, but then in this final chapter, it was the clincher, the last straw that made me go over to Amazon and purchase this book: creating markers. It’s an Oh My Goodness how clever this is and that is ...

The money I will save utilizing materials I never considered using as plant markers (and I HAVE on hand) just paid for this (used) book! 

Yes. Basically all the different suggestions shown in the book are probably on Pinterest. If I even thought of them to look up, but I get much too distracted by other things and cannot keep focused! I’d rather have a reference book in hand.

I was also impressed by the thorough list of websites “Sources for Supplies” she provided at the end of the book. It too is divided into convenient sections -

cement/hypertufa and mosaic
fabric, cord, and paper goods
metal and wire
natural materials
paint, stencils, and stamps
miscellaneous tools and supplies

She also offers a nice list of Recommended Reading!

Thank You!

Yes. This is a keeper.


NOTE TO SELF: Find the roll of 1" wide heavyweight copper originally purchased for making custom cookie cutters and repurpose its purpose to engrave for plant markers! It’s somewhere around here, I know it is!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews