Friday, September 27, 2013

Why Not?

Why not enter a sewing competition? I asked myself this question a few years ago. Have you thought about it? Why not do it? A county fair maybe?

Before I go any further, I must add that today is OPENING day of our Great State Fair of Texas! The fair will run from today through October 20th. You've not been to a fair unless you've been to the Great State Fair of Texas! (My Humble Opinion!)

Years ago, Momma entered the sewing competition at the Great State Fair of Texas. Back then, winners modeled the outfits created. I remember like it was yesterday, sitting in the audience with my daddy, watching as she walked down the runway. I will always love that two-tone iridescent mauve petal skirt cocktail dress! Another time, much later, she entered a wedding dress she and I designed together. I had the honor of modeling her award winning creation. Within a few months, a knock-off showed up in Lester Melnick’s store window!

I so wish I had a photocopy of both creations… oh well.

It took me many years to gather the courage to follow in Momma’s footsteps. Yes! I finally entered the Creative Arts Competition! I decided 2011 would be a fabulous time because it was the fair's birthday celebration! Can you imagine 125 years? The Great State Fair of Texas has provided all attendees with fabulous memories over the years. I have the special memory of seeing my apron, bag, and doll dress, on display during the 2011 fair!

I also entered an apron and doll dress in 2012. More memories added…

It’s 2013 now, and I entered the competition one last time with this apron. I can hardly wait to add seeing it on display to my memory bank!

All Things Grow With Love... 




Back in August, I entered this same apron in my local county fair! I was THRILLED beyond words when I learned it received first place, and the Grand Champion award for the category! I was excited to see it on display during the fair, to create a new memory!





Will you enter next year in your county fair? Why Not?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews