Saturday, January 7, 2017

Make your own Chenille fabric!

A new technique on my to-do list for 2017 ~ to make my own Chenille fabric like this:


I thought, How clever, when I happened across this blog article sharing this idea! When I was little, I had a chenille bedspread and loved it! I still have the chenille robe my parents gave me for Christmas at least 10 years ago!

It is something I will use in small projects, like on Action Quilts (aka Fidget Quilts) or zipper bags or potholders or pillows. Maybe a doll quilt, or mini quilt, but that’s about it. I do not intend on ever making enough for an entire quilt!

Through my searches, I discovered one can either use the same fabric for the multiple layers needed, or different prints on each one. It’s then the placement changes the entire color scheme!

On Stores Online, they used 3 different colors (then the base), and shows the three different results depending on placement! How cool is this?!

See how the other colors come through the top! Just love it!
I went to Pinterest and searched for Do-It-Yourself (DIY) to find more ideas / uses for Chenille!

At Peanut to Princess, she shows how to create the chenille, then use as an appliqué! Clever!


Oh, and then just strips of chenille, for other projects! At Kati’s Quilting, she shows us how to make the strips.

Then in Part 2, how to use them!

Of all the YouTube videos I watched to create Chenille Fabric, I enjoyed Mary Beth’s presentation the best!




The Olfa circular cutter shown on some sites like this from Walmart:



But, I’m going to use the Fiskars Scissors like Hobby Lobby (among the many places) offers! I think I will be able to handle gripping the cutter better with the spring scissors rather than the circular one.


Oh, and the “chenille brush” …




I’m going to see if I can find something around the house that will work just as well – maybe a firm toothbrush? It’s difficult for me to purchase something ~ anything ~ and have the shipping cost almost as much as the product itself! On one site I went to, it was triple the product’s cost!

Maybe I’ll stumble across one somewhere, sometime!

I’m excited about trying this technique!

Let me know if you try it as well!!!

UPDATE:  I purchased a "Utility Dish Brush" while at Walmart and hope it works just as well as the "chenille brush"!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews