Monday, March 22, 2021

6 tips when using Ravelry

How much/often do you use the website Ravelry to search for crochet patterns? I've been a member since 2019 but only recently began using it regularly. The various features are amazing! I'll attempt to walk through some of them here...

1) Search CROCHET Patterns - 

Looking for shawl ideas? Type in shawl to search...

2) Filter you search ... looking for "free" patterns today? Check the box!

3) I'm so bad about buying yarn without a project in mind, or I change my mind once home with 1,800 yards of yarn! 

So, I filter further... 

4) My yarn recommends size 5.5 hook size, so I will search for patterns with the same suggestion...

Now I have 8 matches in the "Free" pattern category to select from!

NOTE/RECOMMENDATION:

Under the "Filter your Search" on the left side, there is "Language" and I highly recommend checking English. BUT, read the pattern carefully to see if it's US or UK English! 

In the US we have a single crochet (sc) but in the UK the same stitch is called double crochet (dc). Very Confusing!!! 

5) Add to Favorites:

When you find something you like, click on the thumbnail, then check "add to favorites" so you'll have it in your notebook for future reference! Oh my! I have over 154 "favorites" already! It's like Pinterest!

You'll sometimes see a flat out "free" pattern, but many times, the designer offers an ad-free pattern for a minimal fee. To get the "free" one, you'll visit their website. For example:

This pattern is available for $3.99 USD
buy it now or visit pattern website

A free version is also available.

That's okay because I usually find so many other fabulous ideas or information I wouldn't normally have found had I not gone to their website! 

6) THEN PLEASE... when you use a pattern found on Ravelry... don't forget to go back and share your finished item and rate the pattern! This not only helps the designer, but folks that come after you to use the pattern!

Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews