Monday, September 26, 2016

Nature's Music

Back in March, I purchased the book The Farmer’s Wife 1930s Sampler Quilt by Laurie Aaron Hird from Amazon. I’ve yet to make one of the 99 blocks, but have thoroughly enjoyed reading the “inspiring letters from farm women of the Great Depression.” In fact, the CD that comes with the book… is still attached!


As the author explains, the letters she’s included were originally published in The Farmer’s Wife magazine from 1930 – 1933. Names were not included in the magazine ~ simply initials ~ and no city/town but only the State in which they lived.

Not long ago, I happened upon a website, Gnome Angel, where Angie is doing a sew-along based on the book! Whenever I do pull out the CD and begin sewing the blocks, sewing for the experience of it, I will have a resource if I can’t follow the instructions!




I want to share with you a part of the first letter Ms Hird titled “Proud of Her Calling”

Dear Editor:
….
The finest advantage I can offer my children is this chance to know nature intimately. Perhaps we will never be able to give them training on musical instruments, but if we can train them to attune their hearts to nature’s music, we will have given them something that will stay with them through life, no matter where they may be.”

Although I am not a farmer, I am a rancher.

I know ~ and hear ~ the nature’s music to which she refers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews