Monday, September 12, 2016

The Hidden Benefits of Sewing

It’s interesting – and timely – that I happened across the article Sew Your Blues Away! – How Sewing Fights Depression from So Sew Easy.



I also went to the CNN article they referenced: This is your brain on crafting. This is what the CNN contributor listed as the story highlights:

  • Crafting can help those who suffer from anxiety, depression or chronic pain, experts say
  • It may also ease stress, increase happiness by releasing neurotransmitter called dopamine
  • Leisure activities such as reading and crafting may protect brain from aging, study finds

Not long ago, I had asked a group (via a small closed Facebook group of real-life girlfriends), how they handled bouts of depression. I am blessed to have received various answers, wonderful helpful insights from my friends. Two suggestions won the majority:

1.      Laugh more
2.      Take a road trip

Between the articles and their responses, it dawned upon me… I hadn’t sewn in over two weeks! I had been too busy with other projects around here that had to get done! Then, I was so tired or hands hurt too bad to do any sewing!

I have been sewing again for the experience… creating quilts and prayer flags (to be shared later, along with the story behind their creations).

Honestly, I’m still working on the “laugh more” aspect…

Oh, and I leave TOMORROW for a road trip with my 87 year old mother, and my sister!!! We are going on a quilt shop hop across North Texas! We all are so excited!!!



…I’m already feeling emotionally healthy once again!

Life is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews