Thursday, September 20, 2012

SueEllen's Insights

Today’s guest blogger is SueEllen! She shares a bit of insight into her world of sewing–

Who taught you to sew?
I first learned to sew in junior high home economics class.  It was only a 2 week segment of that class, so we only learned the basics.  After that, my paternal grandmother helped me whenever I got “stuck”.  She was a wealth of information and knew a lot of shortcuts from having worked in the garment industry.  I fondly remember working on her Singer treadle machine.
Why did you start sewing?
At the time, I was between girl sizes and misses sizes.  There were no size 0-6 at the time either.  Clothes went from girls 14 to misses 8.  So, I started sewing all my own clothes, and my grandmother taught me how to fit a pattern.  I loved to stay in my room and sew all weekend.  I even made my prom dresses, then my wedding dress and one of the bridesmaid dresses.
What inspires you?
I love to ‘surf the net’ and look at what others have done.  When I find something I want to be able to find again, I pin it to Pinterest.
Now, I mostly enjoy quilting and sewing for my granddaughters.  I love to make things for other people and see the joy on their face.  In quilting, I enjoy the design and deciding the colors the most.
What do you love most about sewing?
I can do it at home anytime, and I can share my love of sewing with others at local shops and take classes to learn new things.  I love the social aspect of ‘sit n sew’ groups.  I attended my first quilt retreat in August and really enjoyed it.  I’m going again in October!
What are your favorite things to make?
Dresses for granddaughters, pillowcases, and quilts for family.  I made a pillowcase for all 8 grandchildren last year – and put their gifts inside and tied it with a bow!
What is your favorite sewing tip or trick?
I have really appreciated the sidewinder bobbin winder I bought.  I no longer need to unthread the machine to fill a bobbin.
What is your favorite project you have created?
Last Christmas I made a quilt for my mother’s bed.  She lives in NH and the winters get very cold.  I made it using the Summer Breeze and Wildflower fabrics to cheer her during the long winter.  I also made pillowcases to match.


Summer Breeze Quilt made for Mom, 2011


Summer Breeze Quilt

This quilt was made with love for Mom
Christmas 2011
To bring some Summer cheer to the
long cold nights of winter in NH

Blueberries – for the bush by the lake
Texas Bluebonnets
Daisies to remember our Easter dresses
with matching capes
Birds – look for a red breasted Robin
to know it is Spring

Blue – Mom’s favorite color
Pink – Sue’s favorite color
Yellow – for Sunshine

By SueEllen George

What are you currently working on?
I am almost finished making a t-shirt quilt for my niece who just started college in Kansas.  I just lack sewing the binding, then it can be mailed off to her.  She wants to use it on her bed in the dorm.  She played volleyball all through high school and gave me those t-shirts to create her memory quilt. Soon I hope to start my first Carpenter’s Star quilt.  I intend to keep this one for my own bed!  All the quilts I have made I have given away! I also have a wedding ring quilt in process using paper piecing. I just found out today, our 9th grandchild will be a boy!  He is due Feb. 12, 2013.  So, I need to get started on a quilt for him, too! And, I plan to make table runners for the 5 kids for Christmas presents.  Not sure yet what I will be making for the grands for Christmas! So much to do – so little time!                            

Thank you, SueEllen for being a guest blogger at Lanettta’s Creations. I hope everyone leaves a comment for SueEllen!

1 comment:

  1. I am always impressed with how much sewing Sue Ellen gets done, while doing all the other things she does. The thing that has most impressed me is her "message" written and attached to the quilt she made for her mother...not only does the quilt show the love Sue Ellen has for her mother, the note tells in words, and when passed down to future generations, folks will know the details of the quilt and the shared love.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, it makes my day!

Total Pageviews